Saturday, November 19, 2011

Squash Casserole

This is a fantastic recipe that I got from my sister, Sissy years ago. I can remember when I first started really cooking, not just grilled cheese and omelets, I relied on my older sisters a lot to guide me along. They always came through for me. Back in the day I remember thinking this was so hard! It really isn't at all. I had just never really cooked anything that reqiured steps, only things that you put in a skillet or pan  and cook. Now I don't see this as much of a challenge, just a little chopping, but once you try it you will see that it is easy and worth the effort! Thanks Sissy for helping me become a confident cook. I may not always follow your advice on everything, but I listened this time!
Enjoy!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 1/2  cups cooked  yellow squash (I cook it in water on medium low heat until tender)
2   cups cornbread, crumbled (good way to use leftover cornbread, I freeze mine for stuff like this)
1   stick butter or margarine, melted
1   can cream of chicken soup
1   8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1   medium onion, finely chopped 
2   carrots, shredded
2 to 3 tbsp. bell pepper, finely chopped

Mix the melted butter with the cornbread.

Line the bottom of a casserole dish with half the cornbread butter mixture.
Mix all other ingredients together. Pour on top of the cornbread in pan.
Top with remaining cornbread and bake for about 50 minutes to an hour until done.


No comments:

Post a Comment