Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Honey Bun Cake

Believe it or not, I do have some healthy stuff that I cook. One would not think so when viewing this blog! I am thinking holiday food right now, so bear with me. This recipe came from an old cookbook I purchased from a church fundraiser many years ago. There are several variations of this recipe. I have only tried this one. It is always a hit, and very simple. I know it is filled with fattening stuff, but with a name like"Honey Bun Cake" it is to be expected! I always get requests for this recipe, as a matter of fact, I hadn't even thought about sharing this until a dear friend who I consider an honorary daughter, Jessica, asked for the recipe. It travels well if you need something to trek across the state with this holiday season, and is fantastic with a cup of your favorite coffee. Give it a try, just make sure you got some people to help you eat it. The temptation to eat another piece is going to be over whelming! This one is in honor of Jess, you asked and I delivered.
Enjoy!
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

1    box yellow cake mix
4    eggs (I have used 3 eggs and you can't tell the difference)
3/4  cup vegetable oil
8    oz sour cream
1   cup brown sugar
1  tbsp cinnamon
2  cups confectioner's sugar
4  Tbsp  milk
1   tsp vanilla

Mix the first four ingredients by hand. Spread half of the batter in a greased and floured 9x13 pan. you can just use cooking spray if you like.
Mix brown sugar and cinnamon in a seperate bowl. Sprinkle over the batter in the pan.
Top with the remaining batter, easiest by spooning it on. It does not have to completely cover the brown sugar mixture.
Bake for about 40 minutes.

Icing:
Mix the powdwered sugar with the milk and vanilla, you may need a little more milk to get the consistency right.
Poke holes in the hot cake with a fork and pour icing on top while still hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment