Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Greg's Venison (Deer)

I'm switching gears a little bit here. It is deer hunting season in Tennesse right now. I have some relatives who enjoy this sport and have been very successful in coming up with some delicious ways to prepare it. Venison is a very lean meat, and that sometimes creates a problem with becoming too dry during the cooking process. The gamey taste can also be a turn off to some. Well, lucky for you. my brother in law, Greg, has a fool proof way to cook your deer. He is an avid hunter who doesn't mind sharing the kitchen duties with his wife of 38 years, my sister Gale.
They are like a well oiled machine in the kitchen together. They each just know what to be doing at the right time, creating the perfect duo. At any given time you may see Greg washing the dishes, chopping vegetables, whatever needs to be done. I realize there are lots of men who help in the kitchen, and I applaud all of you. Greg is just as comfortable in the kitchen as he is in the woods hunting. I know this recipe isn't for everyone, but hunting is deeply seated in my family heritage, like a lot of other people from rural areas of the country. I  think this recipe is worth sharing, for those of you who may want a new idea for venison. I suppose you could substitute beef if desired.
Enjoy!

Start with 2lbs. deer steak or tenderloin. Dredge in seasoned flour. I use McCormicks season salt and lemon pepper. I don't measure. I just shake it in until I think its enough. Fry deer in hot oil until browned on both sides. It does not need to be fully cooked. Put in a large casserole dish. I use a large corningware dish. Mix two envelopes Lipton Beefy Onion soup mix with two cups water. Pour in casserole until it comes up level with the deer, add more water if necessary. Cook at 325 degrees at least two hours, you may cook it longer. Stir about every thirty minutes while it is cooking. The meat will be very tender and you will have a rich brown gravy. Serve over hot biscuits or rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment