Saturday, November 19, 2011

Crock Pot Oatmeal

This is a simple way to get a hearty breakfast anytime with little effort. Imagine waking up to a delicious breakfast waiting on you! All you have to do is grab a bowl and dig in. I suggest this for Thanksgiving morning. Growing up in Tennessee, dinner was in middle of the day and that evening meal is supper. My mother always got up before dawn on Thanksgiving to start preparing her meal so it would be ready by noon, that was when dinner was served. She would have thought anything later was unheard of! She always had a meal that would impress even the most experienced chefs. They don't have nothing on my Mama when it comes to cooking anything southern style. She always managed to put together a fantastic meal, and get it done! She would have loved this recipe. If it had been around when we were young, she wouldn't have had to fix breakfast for eight hungry people before she started her "dinner" cooking! So I offer you this wonderful breakfast idea for Thanksgiving, or any time for that matter, in the spirit of my beautiful, awesome mom, Amy. I just wish I could have some of her good food right now. She was the expert on everything good!
Enjoy!

4  cups milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups old fashioned or steel cut oats (not quick cook)
2 cups apple, chopped
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Coat the inside of a 3 to 4 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker and mix well.
Cover and cook on Low overnight,  do not exceed 7 to 8 hours, depending on how fast you crock pot cooks, this may need to be adjusted. Don't over cook.
Stir and serve. The leftovers can be refrigerated.
Simple, huh? Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Love this idea! We all enjoy having dinner ready to go after a day in the slow cooker but waking up to breakfast! Fabulous:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lila, this is so good sounding, I may just make it for non holiday times too. I can't wait to try this. Thanks for all the wonderful recipes, your mom would be proud:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Debbie. I am glad you are enjoying the recipes. I could never be as good a cook as my Mom, but I do think she would be proud. I have some sisters that are pretty good in the kitchen too. I have learned a lot from all of them. They too are excited about my blog. In the coming months I plan to feature my Aunt Peggy's cornbread, my mom's Apple pie. I got so busy during the holidays with the part time job that I had not planned on, and trying to shop, I sort of ignored the blog. I missed out on an opportunity to post some stuff that would have been awesome for Christmas, but now things are getting back to normal and I got lots more good stuff. Thanks again! i hope everything was a success.

    ReplyDelete