Monday, February 20, 2012

Jesse's Oysters Rockefeller

I've got another good one from Jesse Willis Lewis. It sounds absolutely amazing. The fanciest oyster recipe  I've ever noticed. Not a big fan of  raw oysters, never been curious enough to order them prepared any other way, but I would so try this! I wonder if Jesse knew any of the chefs over at Antoine's? The legendary restaurant in New Orleans famed for inventing this delectable dish. It is said that the recipe was created by Jules Alciatore of Antoine's and left to his children, and has apparently never left the family's hands, competing restaurants have had to formulate their own recipes. It was a guarded secret recipe. It is named after John D. Rockefeller, who was the richest man in America at the time, because of its rich sauce.
It has a bunch of my favorites, spinach, bacon, parmesan cheese, lemon, parsley just to name a few.
A fine recipe like this is timeless.Who knows, maybe Jesse had the inside scoop. He wasn't really competition for the restaurant, and I'm sure the good cooks in the area ran into each other at the fish market and talked food, so one never knows. I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing Antoine's, so I really can't compare, but I'm sure Jesse's version can stand on it own, regardless.
 This would surely be an impressive addition to any gathering. Perfect idea for a Mardi Gras celebration! I bet Jesse made a lot of this for many famous and notable people when he was the "chief cook and bottle washer" as he puts it.
 I present to you another classic from Edith and John Ballard's recollection of Creole and Deep South Recipes by Jesse Willis Lewis for Black History Month.   Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment