Friday, February 17, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars

Okay, I must start with a confession. I not only stole this recipe, I made it "unvegan". It is originally a vegan recipe from the book, A Kind Diet, which is written by Alicia Silverstone. My son, Zach, has been making some good stuff from it. Who knew vegan could be so delicious? Anyway, Zach made the original recipe and I knew  instantly that I was going to have to make this my way. Not disrespecting Alicia, or her fabulous recipe. I must admit the dairy free chocolate chips in her version are sinfully good, I just wanted to make a larger batch, and do it more cost effectively. I increased the quantities on all items, as well as made mine into bars. Her version is cups. If you love Reese's, you must make these! They are awesome, easy too! Trust me, you are gonna love this one. I will provide both recipes. you can't go wrong either way! Thanks, Ms Silverstone, and I hope you don't mind that I butchered your recipe.

Alicia's Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups:

 MAKES 12

INGREDIENTS
1⁄2 cup Earth Balance butter
3⁄4 cup crunchy peanut butter
(preferably unsweetened and unsalted)
3⁄4 cup graham cracker crumbs or 10 graham cracker squares
1⁄4 cup maple sugar or other granulated sweetener
1 cup grain-sweetened, nondairy chocolate or carob chips
1⁄4 cup soy, rice, or nut milk
1⁄4 cup chopped pecans, almonds, or peanuts

STEPS
Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. (If You Care makes unbleached liners made from recycled paper.)
Set aside.
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Stir in the peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs, and maple sugar and mix well. Remove the mixture from the heat.
Evenly divide the mixture, approximately 2 tablespoons per cup, among the muffin cups.
Combine the chocolate and milk in another pan.
Stir over medium heat until the chocolate has melted.
Spoon the chocolate evenly over the peanut butter mixture.
Top with chopped nuts.
Place in the refrigerator to set for at least 2 hours before serving. 



Here is my version. Maybe not quite as healthy, but it is chocolate and peanut butter we're talking about here!





3/4 cup butter
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
15 graham crackers, crushed fine
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips, I used semi sweet, but anxious to try milk chocolate next time.
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup crushed almonds, because that's what I had.

Slightly grease a medium size pan with butter.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat.
Add peanut butter, graham crackers, and sugar. Mix well.
Remove from heat and pour into pan.

Combine the milk and chocolate chips in a saucepan. 
Stir over medium heat until chocolate is melted and smooth.
Pour over peanut butter mixture in pan. 
Top with chopped almonds and refrigerate for 2 hours or more.
Enjoy!

 









No comments:

Post a Comment