Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Chili, The Easy Way!

I often get compliments on  my chili. I don't have a secret recipe, nor do I make homemade chili from scratch. I have discovered some tips along the way to make a good pot of chili without spending a lot of time chopping and tasting, adding, tasting. Chili is one of those dishes that can easily become too spicy if you aren't careful. The heat is sometimes hidden in an 'afterburn'. My husband don't like real spicy foods, so I have to be careful not to over do it. I have discovered with the right stuff you can make a fool proof pot that will please everyone. It all starts with the right seasoning packet. Thanks to my friend, Sybil, who many years ago told me that French's Chilio Seasoning was the best, I have always used that brand. She was right, it is better than the others. Thanks Sybil!

 2  pounds (at least) ground beef, the leaner the better
1  large onion, chopped
1  packet of French's Chilio Seasoning
1  can petite diced tomatoes
2  8 ounce cans tomato sauce
1  can Bush's Chili Beans, I use mild (lightweight in family)
2 or 3 packets of Wendy's Chili Seasoning (ask for it next time you go, even if you don't order chili!)
Cumin or a pinch or two of chili powder or red pepper flakes to taste.


 Brown ground beef, add onion and cook until tender.
 Drain and pour into a 5 quart pot.
 Add tomatoes, Chilio seasoning, tomato sauce and beans.
Cook over medium low heat for about 20 minutes, add Wendy's Chili Seasoning packets to taste. I usually add three. It adds a great flavor without making it too spicy. I discovered this once when I didn't have any chili powder, and was grateful, for once, that I am a little crazy for saving all those packets from various places! Stir well and continue simmering on low for about 15 minutes.
I usually serve my chili with shredded cheese, tortilla chips and sour cream, but just plain crackers will work too!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment