Sunday, January 15, 2012

Aunt Peggy's Awesome Buttermilk Cornbread

As I have stated before, I come from a long line of fantastic cooks! I am very fortunate to have so many talented people in my family and circle of friends to inspire me. Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to master.Cornbread is one of those things for me. Sure, anybody can stir up a mix, or follow the instructions on the corn meal bag, (guilty) but not everyone can make a cornbread that is so good you remember how wonderful it is years later. I don't live near my Aunt Peggy, so I don't get to sample her great cooking often. While visiting her during the holidays, I asked her to give me her recipe. She chuckled and said, "I don't have a recipe, I just do it." Sound familiar? Seems like all of the older generation greats in the kitchen never measured anything and always pumped out a flawless meal! She gave me the guidelines and basic measurements as best she could. I came home and tried it a couple of times. I managed to get it as close as I can to hers. Here is my version of Aunt Peggy's cornbread. She always uses Sunflower brand of yellow corn meal. We don't have that brand in our area, so I used Martha White self rising yellow cornmeal. I hope you enjoy it.

Preheat oven to 425, then turn down to 400
Pour 2 tablespoons oil in a cast iron skillet (a pan will work, it just won't be as crunchy)
Place the skillet in oven to preheat oil.
1 1/2  cups self rising yellow cornmeal (Sunflower brand if possible)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk (you may need a little more, if the batter isn't runny enough)
Beat thoroughly, don't just stir it up Should be semi liquid consistency.
Add a beaten egg. Beat until combined well.
Remove skillet from oven and sprinkle a little cornmeal in the bottom of it.
Pour batter in pan and bake for 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
Remove and turn out on a plate or platter.





2 comments:

  1. Three ingredients thats it? This is so different than any I have tried. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, three ingredients! I forgot to mention that we always use self rising cornmeal. I am not sure if that is available in all parts of the country. If you use plain cornmeal, salt and baking powder should be added accordingly. I hope this didn't create any cornbread disasters for anyone. I apologize for my error.

    ReplyDelete