Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Turkey Soup with Orzo and Quinoa

If you still have turkey leftover, you need to either throw it out, freeze it, if you haven't already, or make this soup today. I know a lot of you are sick of talking and thinking turkey, but this is worth sharing. It is healthy and hearty. I just happened to freeze a leg and thigh plus the pan drippings from my bird just to have on hand for this soup. I made it last year, not really expecting much, just playing around with stuff I had on hand. It was a big hit, so I prepared for it this year. I have made this with bone in chicken as well. It is delicious either way. No more turkey talk after this post. I promise!

If you are starting off with uncooked chicken or turkey place in pot and fill with water, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender and falling off the bone.

Put your leftover turkey, skin and all, in a 5 quart or larger pot and fill with water.
Bring to a boil and redude heat, allow to cook covered for an hour or longer.
Remove the turkey and strain the broth in a colander.
Remove any meat left on the turkey bones and put back into the strained broth.
Saute some onion, celery, garlic and carrots in butter until partially cooked.
Add this to the broth.
Season with sage, parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper. I also add some celery leaves for flavor.
Cook for at least 30 minutes.
You may need to add some more water or broth along the way as it cooks down. I usually add a little chicken broth.
During the last 15 minutes of cooking time add 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa and about 8 ounces of uncooked orzo and increase temperature to a low boil for about 10 minutes.
This may be adjusted according to how much broth you have. I use a 5 quart pot and this amount is just right.
Once the orzo is cooked pour a little cool water or broth in the soup to stop the cooking process. This prevents the orzo from over cooking.
Simple healthy and hearty. A good way to say farewell to your Thanksgiving turkey!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment